A deliciously easy side dish, this southern Bacon Fried Cabbage is full of flavor, doesn’t require many ingredients and is the perfect comfort food!
A SOUTHERN BACON CABBAGE RECIPE
Are you a cabbage fan? I am, especially when it comes to this Bacon Fried Cabbage. Cabbage is such a humble vegetable that many cultures, especially Eastern European cultures, use it as a staple side dish and use it in a variety of ways. I have always loved fried cabbage and we have been making this recipe for generations and my family loves it! With a slightly sweet and salty flavor, it really is irresistible! If you are looking for for a delicious cabbage side dish, then you absolutely must make this Bacon Fried Cabbage recipe!
Bacon Fried Cabbage
A deliciously easy side dish, this southern Bacon Fried Cabbage is full of flavor, doesn’t require many ingredients, and is the perfect comfort food!
- ▢1 pound thick-cut bacon, small diced
- ▢1 small onion, thinly sliced
- ▢4 cloves garlic, minced
- ▢1 head of cabbage, cored and cut into bite-sized pieces
- ▢1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ▢1 tablespoon light brown sugar, packed
- ▢½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ▢½ teaspoon black pepper
- ▢2 tablespoons salted butter
Prevent your screen from going dark
- In a dutch oven or large skillet with deep sides, cook the bacon until crispy over medium heat for about 12-15 minutes. Drain bacon on a paper-towel lined plate.
- Reserve ¼ cup of the bacon fat in the pan. Add the onions and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the cabbage, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, seasoned salt, and black pepper. Stir to combine. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until tender, 10-15 minutes.
- Add the bacon back to the pan and the butter. Stir it in until the butter is melted and the bacon is distributed, taste, adjust seasoning if necessary and serve immediately.
- You can use red cabbage if you’d like.
- We like thick cut bacon but regular bacon can be used.
- If you like a little spice add a pinch of cayenne or red pepper flakes.
- This can be frozen, see my tips above.
Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 45mg | Sodium: 567mg | Potassium: 337mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 221IU | Vitamin C: 43mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 1mg
“The Country Cook” is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.