For the dough:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water
2 tablespoons olive oil
For the topping:
2-3 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Coarse sea salt
Fresh cilantro or parsley (for garnish, optional)
How To Make Jalapeño Cheddar Focaccia:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, instant yeast, salt, and sugar. Mix well.
- Gradually add the warm water and olive oil to the dry ingredients. Stir until a sticky dough forms.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it for about 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover it with a clean kitchen towel or plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm place for about 1-2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease a baking sheet or line it with parchment paper.
- Punch down the risen dough and transfer it to the prepared baking sheet. Gently press and stretch the dough to fit the baking sheet, forming a rectangle or desired shape.
- Arrange the jalapeño slices evenly over the dough, pressing them lightly into the surface. Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese over the top, ensuring even coverage.
- Season the top of the focaccia with freshly ground black pepper and a sprinkle of coarse sea salt.
- Bake the Jalapeño Cheddar Focaccia in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the focaccia from the oven and let it cool slightly. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish, if desired.
- Slice and serve the Jalapeño Cheddar Focaccia warm or at room temperature.